10/17/10

Trans-Iowa

I have gotten myself onto the roster for the 2011 running of Trans-Iowa. With 300+ miles of gravel and "B-roads" in the Spring of the year, this will likely be the toughest thing I've ever attempted on a bicycle. Here's a photo I took while volunteering for last year's TI.
part of TI v6 route

I have a lot to do to prepare myself for this in the next 6 months or so. Physical conditioning is one thing, and I know how to do that, but I figure at least 90% of TI is half-mental.

5 comments:

KM said...

"90% of TI is half-mental." And you my friend, are mental enough to complete it.

Fonk said...

Need more pain in your life? ;-) Hopefully the weather works out this next year. That race does intrigue me, though... God speed, my friend!

Anonymous said...

I'm curious to hear hear more about the Trans Iowa tour. One question - how many days is the tour? Where do you stay if you are traveling on gravel roads - I assume lodging will be difficult to secure...

Jim Thill said...

Anon: Trans Iowa has a website of its own.
http://www.transiowa.blogspot.com/

It is an endurance race/ride more than a typical tour. Previous versions have been 300+ miles with a 36-hour cutoff.

Dan Buettner said...

Jim, been reading your blog for a while now, funny coincidence that I too am hoping to complete TI v7 next Spring. Newbie, not on the roster yet. I'll be interested to see what kind of bike you put together; I'll be publishing a blog post soon on my own bike.